Follow MotazinEnglish on Twitter

Followers

How to say I want in Arabic

We are going to talk about a very basic and important phrase you need to know, which is "I want" in Arabic. We will also talk about other pronouns.

كيف تطلب شيئا باللغة العربية (أنا أريد) :
In Fus-ha (Standard Arabic):
I want = أنا أريد "Ana ored"
"Ana" means "I", "ored" means "want"

In Egyptian Arabic:
I want = أنا عايز "Ana Aayez", or Ana aawez أنا عاوز
I = أنا = "Ana"
Want = عايز = "Aayez"

Examples of how to say I want in Arabic:

In standard Arabic:
  • I want a ticket, please
    أريد تذكرة من فضلك  "Ored Tathkarah men fadlek"
  • I want to go to my room.
    أريد الذهاب إلى غرفتي  "Ored al thahab ila ghorfathy"
  • I don't want to go.
    لا أريد الذهاب  "La ored al thahab"
  • I want you to buy me a book.
    أريد منك أن تشتري لي كتابا
  • I want to see the lions.
    أريد أن أرى الأسود
إذا أردت ان تسأل شخصا عما يريده استخدم : ماذا تريد؟
If you want to ask someone about what they want, say : ماذا تريد؟ "matha toreed?" = What do you want?. (th as in "the").
    In Egyptian dialect:
    • I want a ticket, please.
      عايز تذكرة لو سمحت "Ayez tazkara law samaht"
    • I don't want meat.
      مش عايز لحمة "Msh ayez lahma"
    One of the very popular slogans during the revolutions in Egypt and Tunisia was: الشعب يريد إسقاط النظام which mean: people want to overthrow the regimen.

    Remember to say "excuse me" لو سمحت or "please" من فضلك. :)

    If you are in Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan or Syria, use the word "bedde" أنا بدي which means "want" in their dialect.

    Other pronouns:
    He wants = هو يريد
    She wants = هي تريد
    They want = هم يريدون
    We want = نحن نريد
    They wanted = هم أرادو
    He wanted = هو أراد
    She wanted = هي أرادت

    You may also like:
    How do you say thank you in Arabic.

    Leave a Reply